History of Hotel Starý Pivovar
Hotel Starý pivovar is located in the building of the old Motol brewery, the history of this building dates back to the 12th century, in 2001 it was declared a listed building. A sensitive reconstruction in the years 2003 - 2006 created a hotel with preserved historical elements.
The oldest document from 1146 is preserved from the beginnings of Motol, in which King Vladislav donated his Motol estates and subjects to the monastery in Plasy. Jiří. After the Hussite wars, there was a frequent change of owners of individual courts. In 1631, I commemorate Motol again as the court of the Virgin Monastery of St. Jiří.
For the period of the first half of the 17th century, permits for the construction of the mill are given from the courts and land (hereinafter the pub, which is mentioned in 1607, when it was sold and connected with another land and mill). After further property changes during the 17th and 18th centuries, the Maltese Order became the owner in 1747, which later acquired the entire Motol estate.
Probably at this time after the middle of the 18th century, the pub was converted into a brewery, which is first mentioned in 1826, it is also mentioned in 1845. At the end of the 19th century, construction modifications and extensions of the brewery were undertaken the gable of the forest and the building character of the buildings on the east side of the brewery. During these modifications, the brewery was modified as a steam engine. It was owned by the Maltese Order together with the entire Motol estate until 1922, when it was bought from the Order by the municipality of Pražská, so that in 1923 it would stop production in the brewery. The brewery was then used as a beer warehouse.
In 1901, the brewery was leased to the brewer Vojtěch Richter, and from 1909 to 1912 to Josef Richter, who brewed the popular black thirteen "Richter's Lager". Josef Richter, as a tenant of the former brewery, used the building in the 1920s and 1930s.
During the modern extension of Plzeňská Street, the north wing of the brewery with a boiler room, standing by the old Plzeňská Road, was demolished. Immediately with the construction of the road, the western part of the street wing was demolished in 1974.
On the west side, a high corner two-story forest building remained. The front walls extend into low triangular gables. The facades are divided vertically by shallow moldings, above the 2nd floor a narrow profiled cornice intersects the moldings. In the front western façade in the gable above the middle pressed there is a coat of arms of the Order of the Knights of Malta, below it the ranks of the Golden Fleece. Heraldic elements are gilded.
Motol, formerly also Motoly, is an old agricultural and orchard village, whose territory has been used by farmers since prehistoric times. It occupies the wide valley of the Motol brook with the adjacent slopes - there were vineyards on the sunny southern ones. It is mentioned as early as 1146 as the property of St. George's nuns. Most of the time, however, the history of Motol is connected, as we shall see, with the Order of the Knights of Mathes. In the Middle Ages, an important trade route ran along the Motol brook, stretching to the ford across the Vltava and further through the Botič valley. The origin of the name Motol, as is the rule, again has several theories - according to the first the name was derived from the extended Slavic male name Motol, according to the second it is a derivative of the old Slavic expression for butterfly and according to the third explanation the name Motol originated from the word root mot = muddy, muddy which could be related to the pollution of the Motol brook. Motol has always been a small village in the valley, which is confirmed by the fact that at the time of its annexation to Prague in 1922, Motol had just over twenty houses with 350 inhabitants.
The old brewery (hotel) was once known for its black lager, which was the only industrial enterprise in old Motol. An inn is already mentioned in its place in 1607, which was rebuilt into a brewery after the takeover of the Motol estate by the Order of the Knights of Malta in the second half of the 18th century. It was owned by the order until 1922, when the entire Motol estate was bought by the Prague municipality and the following year it canceled production in the brewery. During the expansion of Plzeňská cesta, parts of the brewery buildings were gradually demolished, most recently in the 1970s. In 2001, the current complex was declared a listed building and in the years 2003 - 2006 it was very successfully reconstructed into a restaurant and a hotel. In the gable of the former forest, the history of the brewery is reminiscent of the gilded coat of arms of the Knights of Malta and the order of the golden fleece on the gable of the building by the road.
Our main priority is your satisfaction. That is why our professional staff is always available to you. Rich experience and willing approach return to us in the form of satisfied customers. Take advantage of our hotel services, we are convinced that you will be satisfied.